(1994; 115 pages) [French] [Spanish]
CHECKLIST 4. Subcutaneous injection
Syringe with the drug to be administered (without air), needle (Gauss 25, short and thin; on syringe), liquid disinfectant, cotton wool, adhesive tape.
1. Wash hands.
2. Reassure the patient and explain the procedure.
3. Uncover the area to be injected (upper arm, upper leg, abdomen).
4. Disinfect skin.
5. ‘Pinch’ fold of the skin.
6. Insert needle in the base of the skin-fold at an angle of 20 to 30 degrees.
7. Release skin.
8. Aspirate briefly; if blood appears: withdraw needle, replace it with a new one, if possible, and start again from point 4.
9. Inject slowly (0.5 - 2 minutes!).
10. Withdraw needle quickly.
11. Press sterile cotton wool onto the opening. Fix with adhesive tape.
12. Check the patient's reaction and give additional reassurance, if necessary.
13. Clean up; dispose of waste safely; wash hands.