Further information on intellectual property rights for pharmaceuticals and on aspects of access to HIV/AIDS related drugs are available in the following references and web links:
• Patent situation of HIV/AIDS related drugs in 80 countries
Intellectual property rights and pharmaceuticals
• WHO/EDM. Globalization, patents and drugs - an annotated bibliography. Health Economics and Drugs, EDM Series No. 9. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1999 (WHO/EDM/PAR/99.6).
• WHO/EDM. Globalization and access to drugs - perspectives on the WTO TRIPS Agreement. Health Economics and Drugs, EDM Series No.7. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1999 (WHO/EDM/98.9 Revised).
• Otten A. The implications of the TRIPS Agreement for the protection of pharmaceutical inventions. WHO Drug Information. 1997(11):1.
• UNCTAD. The TRIPS Agreement and developing countries. Geneva: United Nations Conference on Trade and Development; 1996 (UNCTAD/ITE/1).
• South Centre. The TRIPS Agreement - a guide for the South. Geneva: South Centre; 1997.
• IFPMA. The question of patents. Geneva: International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations; 1998.
• Health Action International. Power, patents and pills - an examination of GATT/WTO policies and essential drug policies. Seminar Report. Amsterdam: HAI-Europe; 1997.
Access to HIV/AIDS-related drugs
• Technical update: Access to drugs. UNAIDS Best Practice Collection, 1998.
• WHO. Model prescribing information. Drugs used in HIV-related infections (WHO/DMP/DSI/99.2).
• WHO/DAP. Guidelines on standard treatments and essential drugs for HIV-related conditions. Access to HIV-related drugs. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1997.
• WHO/UNAIDS. The implications of antiretroviral treatment. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1997 (WHO/ASD/97.2).
• WHO. Technical and policy guidance modules on antiretroviral treatments for health planners and policy makers (WHO/ASD/98.1 and UNAIDS/98/7).