(2004; 102 pages)
1.4 Do doctors think they have enough training to deal with sales representatives?
Seventy per cent of psychiatry trainees did not feel they had had sufficient training about interacting with sales representatives4. Only 10% of internal medicine faculty and residents surveyed by McKinney et al.16 felt they had had enough training for professional interviews with sales representatives. On the other hand, 90% of the practicing doctors and 87% of the residents in Aldir et al.’s study felt that they had had sufficient training to critically understand information from companies6.
CONCLUSION: Only three studies in the database addressed this question. In two studies the vast majority indicated that they did not have adequate training to interact with representatives. However, in another study the vast majority said that they had sufficient training to critically understand information from pharmaceutical companies. This discrepancy may arise from differences in the framing of the questions, for example, locating the deficiency in the training as opposed to in the individual.