• Label all containers in which drugs are dispensed.
• Use pictorial labels when a patient is not literate.
• Where envelopes are used, label them before drugs are packed.
• For liquid preparations, label the container(s) after putting in the liquid preparation.
The label on the container of dispensed drugs should contain the following in order to promote patient compliance:
• Drug name (use generic name),
• Strength (usually in mg),
• Quantity dispensed,
• Clear instructions for use in a familiar language,
• Cautionary label (e.g. “Keep out of reach of children”),
• Name of the patient,
• Name of the health facility,
• Date of dispensing.
Diagram 6 Example of Labels