Two teams should be involved in conducting inspection of the dispensary. The first is the team from the appropriate authority. A pharmacist should be a member of this team. The second team is represented by some members of the health committee.
Among other duties, the team should do the following:
• Ensure that drugs are properly arranged on shelves in the dispensary.
• Check that security measures are in place.
• Collect a few names with dates at random from receipt books, cross-check with the health centre consultation register and verify if those patients were actually consulted before coming to the dispensary.
• Recalculate at random the figures in the FRB to ensure that they are correct.
• In consultation with the health committee, make payments following laid down criteria.
• Decide with the health committee who will be responsible for deficits and surpluses.
• Make advance payment of salary to the health committee who will later pay the health worker on a monthly basis.
• Pay incentives where approved.
• Recommend to the health committee further work to be done in the dispensary.
• Give on-the-job training so that records are always kept up-to-date.
• Establish a report on-the-spot on observations and leave a copy in the health centre.
• Confirms the availability of all approved drugs on the list.