- Traditional Medicine > Traditional, Complementary and Herbal Medicine
- Quality and Safety: Medicines > Quality Assurance
(2003; 80 pages) [French] [Spanish]
5. Building and facilities
5.1 Buildings used in the processing of harvested medicinal plants/herbal drugs must be clean, as well as thoroughly aerated and must never be used for housing livestock.
5.2 Buildings must provide adequate protection for the harvested medicinal plants/herbal drugs against birds, insects, rodents and domestic animals. In all storage and processing areas suitable pest control measures such as baits and electric insect killing machines must be operated and maintained by professionally qualified staff or contractors.
5.3 It is recommended that the packaged medicinal plant/herbal drug be stored:
- in buildings with concrete or similar easy to clean floors,
- on pallets,
- with a sufficient distance from the wall,
- well separated from other herbal drugs to avoid cross-contamination.
Organic products must be stored separately.
5.4 Buildings where plant processing is carried out must have changing facilities as well as toilets including hand-washing facilities, according to regional and/or national regulations.