1. The Committee recommended that the following modifications be made to the medicines listed in section 12.3 of the Model List (Antihypertensive medicines):
• Reserpine and prazosin should be deleted.
• Captopril should be replaced by enalapril as the listed example of the therapeutic group.
• Methyldopa should be retained as a core list medicine but with the addition of the following footnote:
Methyldopa is listed for use in the management of pregnancy-induced hypertension only. Its use in the treatment of essential hypertension is not recommended in view of the availability of more evidence of efficacy and safety of other medicines.
• The square box symbol should be removed from sodium nitroprusside.
2. In sum, the Committee recommended that section 12.3 (Antihypertensive medicines) comprise: atenolol (tablet, 50mg, 100mg) with a square box; enalapril (tablet, 25mg); hydrochlorothiazide (scored tablet, 25mg) with a square box; methyldopa (tablet, 250mg) and nifedipine (tablet, 10mg and as slow-release formulations) with a square box as core list medicines and sodium nitroprusside (powder for infusion, 50mg in ampoule) as a complementary list medicine.
3. The Committee recommended that more research be done on the treatment of hypertension in pregnancy, in particular on long-term outcomes and effects on child development, and that a thorough and critical review be carried out of the justification of the use of dihydropyridine calcium-channel blockers as first-line treatment drug for hypertension.