(2003; 6 pages) [French] [Spanish]
World Health Organization. Core Indicators for Monitoring National Drug Policies. Geneva: WHO, 2002 (in preparation).
*World Health Organization. How to Develop and Implement a National Drug Policy, 2nd ed. Geneva: WHO, 2001.
World Health Organization. “National drug regulatory legislation: guiding principles for small drug regulatory authorities”. WHO Expert Committee on Specifications for Pharmaceutical Preparations. Thirty-fifth Report. Geneva: WHO, 1999, Annex 8 (WHO Technical Report Series, No.885).
Quick JD, Rankin JR, Laing RO, O’Connor RW, Hogerzeil HV, Dukes MNG, Garnett A, editors. Managing Drug Supply. 2nd ed. West Hartford: Kumarian Press, 1997.
*World Health Organization. The selection and use of essential medicines. Report of the WHO Expert Committee, 2002 (including the 12th Model List of Essential Medicines). Geneva: WHO (WHO Technical Report Series, No. 914) (in preparation).
Trap B, Chinyanganya F, Hogerzeil HV, Nathoo KJ, Chidarikire A. How to Support a National Essential Drugs Programme by Repeated Surveys of the Pharmaceutical Sector: the Zimbabwe experience. Geneva: WHO, 2002.
* World Health Organization. WHO Medicines Strategy 2000-2003. Geneva: WHO, 2000 (WHO Policy Perspectives on Medicine, No. 1) (WHO/EDM/2000.4).
* World Health Organization. Globalization, TRIPS and access to pharmaceuticals. Geneva: WHO, 2001 (WHO Policy Perspectives on Medicine, No. 3) (WHO/EDM/2001.2).
* World Health Organization. Traditional Medicine - Growing Needs and Potential. Geneva: WHO, 2002 (WHO Policy Perspectives on Medicine, No. 2) (WHO/EDM/2002.4).
* World Health Organization. The Selection of Essential Medicines. Geneva: WHO, 2002 (WHO Policy Perspectives on Medicine, No. 4) (WHO/EDM/2002.2).
* World Health Organization. Promoting Rational Use of Medicines: Core Components. Geneva: WHO, 2002 (WHO Policy Perspectives on Medicine, No. 5) (WHO/ EDM/2002.3).
The documents marked with* are also available on http://www.who.int/medicines/
Contacts in WHO Regional Offices
Regional Office for Africa:
Regional Office for the Americas:
Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean:
Regional Office for Europe:
Regional Office for South-East Asia:
Regional Office for the Western Pacific:
Contacts at WHO Headquarters:
Essential Drugs and Medicines Policy
Dr Jonathan Quick
Dr Hans Hogerzeil
Dr Lembit Rägo
Dr Germán Velásquez
Dr Xiaorui Zhang
© World Health Organization 2002.
All rights reserved. Publications of the World Health Organization can be obtained from Marketing and Dissemination, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland (tel: +41 22 791 2476; fax: +41 22 791 4857; email: email@example.com).
The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the World Health Organization concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. Dotted lines on maps represent approximate border lines for which there may not yet be full agreement.
The World Health Organization does not warrant that the information contained in this publication is complete and correct and shall not be liable for any damages incurred as a result of its use.