Another essential component is a reliable supply system. Various types of supply systems exist which vary considerably with respect to the role of the private sector and the incentives for efficiency. But whatever system is developed, its aim is to ensure continued availability of essential medicines with low rates of stock-outs and low costs of medicines. Key policy issues are to:
• promoting a public-private mix in medicine supply and distribution systems;
• commiting to good pharmaceutical procurement practices in the public sector;
• publishing price information on raw materials and finished products;
• ensuring medicine supply systems in acute emergencies;
• carrying out inventory control, and taking measures for prevention of theft and waste;
• ensuring disposal of unwanted or expired medicines.