- Medicine Information and Evidence for Policy > Medicines Policy
- Traditional Medicine > Traditional, Complementary and Herbal Medicine
(2002; 70 pages) [French] [Spanish]
Chapter Three: The current role of WHO
WHO's principal, current objectives in TM/CAM are to provide normative and country programme support so that Member States can:
• develop their own TM/CAM and integrate it into their national health care systems, as appropriate, and
• ensure appropriate, safe and effective use of TM/CAM.
It also seeks to:
• increase access - among Member States, the scientific community and the public - to accurate information on TM/CAM issues.
Some of WHO's achievements and current activities aimed at meeting these objectives are outlined below.
In carrying out its TM/CAM activities, WHO not only works directly with Member States, national and international organizations and regional bodies, but also with its network of Collaborating Centres.