1. Akam AW et al. (2004). Anti-retroviral adherence in a resource poor setting. International Conference on AIDS, 11-16 July 2004.15. Abstract no. B12311.
2. Bangsberg DR et al. (2000). Adherence to protease inhibitor, HIV-1 viral load and development of drug resistance in an indigenous population. A/DS;14:357-366.
3. Carrieri P, Caillefon V, Le moing V. (2001). The dyanamic of adherence to Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy: Results from the French National APROCO cohort. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 28:232-239.
4. Chesney MA (2000). Factors affecting adherence to antiretroviral therapy. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 30(Suppl 2):S171-S176.
5. CIA. The world factbook 2003, (Tanzania). Available at: http:/www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/tz.html.
6. DiMatteo MR (2004). Variations in patients' adherence to medical recommendations. A quantitative review of 50 years of research. Medical Care, 42:200-209.
7. Eldred IJ, Wu Aw, Chaisson RE (1998). Adherence to antiretroviral and pneoumcystic prophylaxis in HIV disease. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 18:117.
8. Garcia R, Schooley, R, Badaro R (2003). An adherence triology is essential for long term HAART success. Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 7(5): 1-9.
9. Horne R, Buick D, Fischer M (2001). Perceptions of HIV and HAART as barriers to adherence. 5th AIDS Impact, Brighton, UK, 2001. Abstract no.105. 2002; 28:232-9.
10. Horne R. Compliance, adherence and concordance. In: Taylor K, Harding G, eds. Pharmacy practice. London, Taylor & Frances, 2001:165-184.
11. Horne R. Adherence to medication, a review of existing research. In: Myers L, Midence K, eds. Adherence to treatment in medical conditions. London, Harwood Academic, 1998:285-310.
12. Lerner BH, Gulick RM, Dubler NN. Rethinking non-adherence:historical perspectives on triple-drug therapy for HIV disease. Annals of Internal Medicine, 1998,129(7):573-578.
13. Ison CA, Dillon JA, Tapsall JW. The epidemiology of global antibiotic resistance among Neisseria Gonorrhoeae and Haemophilus ducreyi. Lance, 1998:351(Suppl 3):8-ll.
14. Massele AY et al. (1993). Knowledge and management of malaria in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. East African Medical Journal, 70(10):639-42.
15. Massele AY, Ofori-Adjei D, Laing RO. (1993). A study of prescribing patterns with special reference to drug use indicators in Dar es Salaam Region, Tanzania. Tropical Doctor, 23(3):104-7.
16. Mhalu F. The impact of globalization on spread of emerging and re-merging diseases. Keynote address to NIMR's 19th Annual Joint Scientific Conference AICC, 15-17 March 2004.
17. Ministry of Health. National guidelines for malaria diagnosis and treatment. (2000). Malaria Control Series 1. Dar es Salaam, Ministry of Health of the United Republic of Tanzania, 2000.
18. Ministry of Health. Report of the baseline survey of the pharmaceutical sector in Tanzania. Dar es Salaam, Ministry of Health of the United Republic of Tanzania and World Health Organization, 2002:22-23.
19. Mnyika KS, Killewo JZ, Kabalimu TK. Self-medication with antimalarial drugs in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Trop Geogr.Med. 1995;47(l):32-4.
20. Murphy DA, Wilson CM, Durako SJ (2001). Antiretroviral medication adherence among the REACH HIV-infected adolescent cohort in the USA. AIDS Care,13,(1) 27-40.20.
21. NACP(2003). HIV/AIDS/STI Surveillance Report, No.17.
22. National Bureau of Statistics-United Republic of Tanzania (2003). National population and housing census general report 2002. Dar es Salaam, Central Census Office, National Bureau of Statistics, President's Office Planning and Privatisation, Tanzania.
23. Parades R (2000). Predictors of virology success and ensuing failure in HIV positive patients starting HAART in Europe. Archives of Internal Medicine. 160:1123-1132.
24. Rabkin M, El- Sadr W, Abrahams E (2003). MTCT-Plus clinical manual. Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, USA. Available at: http://www.mtctplus.org/intranet/pdf/ad treatment.pdf
25. Simonen M (2003). Population and Development Perspective, No. 9.
26. Singh N, Squier C, Sirek C (1996). Determinants of compliance with antiretroviral therapy in patients with HIV: prospective assessment with implications for enhancing compliance. AIDS Care, 8:281.
27. Tanzania Food and Drugs Authority. List of registered drugs, 2004. Available at: http://www.tfda.or.tz.
28. Tuldra A, Fumaz C R, Ferrer M J (2000). Prospective randomized two arm controlled study to determine the efficacy of a specific intervention to improve long term adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 25; 221-8.
29. UNAIDS 2004. Report on the global AIDS epidemic. Available at: http:/www.unadis.org/bangkok2004/GAR2004 html.
30. UNAIDS 2004. Report on the global AIDS epidemic. Executive summary. Available at: http://www.Unaids.org/bangkok2004/GAR2004 html/ExecSummary en/ExecSumm en 04.htm#P225 26561 accessed on 11/8/2004.
31. United Republic of Tanzania. HIV/AIDS care and treatment plan 2003-2008. (Draft document).
32. Weiser S et al. (2003). Barriers to antiretroviral adherence for patients living with HIV infection and AIDS in Botswana. Journal of Acquired Immune Defiiency Syndromes, 34:281-288.