- Keywords > compulsory licences
- Keywords > intellectual property laws
- Keywords > intellectual property protection (IPP)
- Keywords > parallel importation
- Keywords > patentability criteria - policy options
- Keywords > patents
- Keywords > pharmaceutical legislation
- Keywords > public health
- Keywords > Trade Related Aspects of the Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)
- Keywords > TRIPS flexibilities
(2000; 140 pages) [French] [Spanish]
VII.4 Individual Prescriptions
Patent laws commonly exclude from the effects of the patent rights, medicines prepared for an individual case in a pharmacy or by a medical professional141. This exclusion, though not specifically provided for, may be deemed permitted under article 30 of the TRIPs Agreement.
141 From a public health perspective, however, the proliferation of individual prescriptions may be risky, to the extent that there are no quality assurance mechanisms to protect the consumers.