- Traditional Medicine > Traditional, Complementary and Herbal Medicine
- Public Health, Innovation, Intellectual Property and Trade > Intellectual Property (IP) and Trade
(2001; 52 pages)
1.2. Objectives of the Workshop
The developmental objectives of the workshop were:
• To further promote development of traditional medicine taking into consideration intellectual property rights and their implications.
The specific objectives were:
• To identify those areas of traditional medicine where intellectual property rights protection is of major concern;
• To identify gaps between those areas of traditional medicine (identified in the above specified objective) and existing modern intellectual property law;
• To share information on national patent law and policies on intellectual property rights relating to traditional medicine; and
• To discuss strategies that could be used for protecting traditional medicine knowledge, resources and biodiversity in order to contribute to a fair and equitable sharing of benefits.
Dr S. K. Sharma, Adviser (Ayurveda), Department of ISH&H, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, was nominated as Chairperson and Atty. Elpidio Peria, Philippine Institute of Traditional and Alternative Healthcare, Philippines, was designated as rapporteur. The agenda for the workshop and the participants’ list and secretariat are attached as Annexes III and IV.