(1997; 41 pages)
2.5 Cumulative list of INNs
All names selected as proposed and recommended INNs are published in a Cumulative list, which is updated periodically. The generic names are presented in alphabetical order by Latin name. Each entry includes:
• equivalent nonproprietary names: in Latin, English, French, Russian and Spanish;
• reference to the INN list in which the name was originally proposed or recommended, or last amended;
• reference to names of substances that have been abandoned or never been marketed;
• reference to national nonproprietary names;
• reference to pharmacopoeial monographs or similar official references;
• reference to names issued by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO);
• reference to the Convention of Psychotropic Substances, if applicable;
• reference to the List of Narcotic Drugs under International Control, if applicable;
• the molecular formula;
• its Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) number.
The layout for information contained in the Cumulative list of INNs is as follows:
Note: Cross-references are provided for entries corresponding to (a) English, French and Spanish INN that appear in different alphabetical positions from the Latin INN and (b) national names that differ from the INN. Entries for (a) are printed in lower-case letters (as in the example of aceburic acid, below) while entries for (b) are printed in capitals (as in the examples of ACEBUTOLOL HYDROCHLORIDE and ACEBUTOLOLO).