WHO Forum on alcohol, drugs and addictive behaviours
Date: 26–28 June 2017
Place: WHO headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland
The primary goal of this First WHO Forum on alcohol, drugs and addictive behaviours is to strengthen partnerships and collaboration among public health organizations and networks working to reduce the health burden caused by alcohol, drugs and addictive behaviours.
Participants will include: policy-makers, health-care providers, academics, representatives of governments, UN agencies and other intergovernmental organizations, nongovernmental organizations and professional associations.
During the Forum, WHO and other participants will discuss:
- substance use, substance use disorders and development within the context of SDG 2030;
- the public health burden of alcohol and drug use disorders;
- prevention and treatment interventions for health conditions due to alcohol and drug use and addictive behaviours;
- progress in implementing the Global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol;
- implementation of the health-related recommendations of the 2016 Special Session of the United Nations General Assembly on the World Drug Problem;
- resources for prevention and treatment of disorders due to substance use and addictive behaviours; and
- updates to the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).
Topics to be covered include: the links between alcohol use and injuries; the health and social consequences of cannabis use; new psychoactive substances; drug use and driving; prevention of substance use in educational settings; and "behavioural addictions".
For further information:
Tel: +41 22 791 4385