WHO IRIS >
Regional Office for Africa >
Regional Committee for Africa >
|Title: ||Oral Health in The African Region: A Regional Strategy|
|Authors: ||World Health Organization. Regional Office for Africa|
|Issue Date: ||5-Mar-1998|
|Abstract: ||1. The important contribution of oral health to general community health and well-being has
been highlighted in resolutions adopted at the World Health Assembly (WHA) and Regional
Committees. However the impact of these resolutions had been limited.
2. Previous approaches to oral health in Africa have failed to recognize the epidemiological
priorities of the Region or to identify reliable and appropriate strategies to address them. Efforts
have consisted of the provision of unplanned, ad hoc and spasmodic curative oral health services,
which in most cases are poorly distributed and only reach affluent or urban communities.
3. There is therefore a compelling need to review existing strategies and develop a
comprehensive strategic framework to support countries in the Region.
4. This document focuses on the most severe oral problems that people have to live with, like
noma, oral cancer and oral consequences of HIV/AIDS infection. It proposes a strategy for
assisting Member States and partners to identify priorities and interventions at various levels of the
health system, particularly at the district level.
5. The strategy aims at strengthening the capacity of countries to improve community oral health
by effectively using proven interventions to address specific oral health needs. It represents a new
approach that has the potential to fundamentally improve community oral health in the African
6. The Regional Committee is invited to review the proposed oral health strategy for the African
Region for the period 1999-2008 and provide orientations for the enhancement of oral health in
Member States in the Region.|
|Subject: ||Oral Health|
Regional Health Planning
World Health Organization
|Appears in Collections:||Regional Committee for Africa|
Items in WHO IRIS are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.