Files in This Item:
   
Thumbnail10_3_2004_309_314.pdf

View/Open

Title: Efficacy of sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in a small sample of Sudanese children
Authors: Adam, I.
Ibrahim, M.H.
Aelbasit, I.A.
El Bashir, M.I.
Issue Date: 2004
Language: English
Abstract: A prospective clinical trial was carried out to determine in vivo efficacy of sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in children in New Halfa. Forty patients were enrolled; 31 completed the 28-day follow-up. Six [19.4%] patients showed recurrence of parasitaemia during follow-up, while the rest [80.6%] cleared the parasites and responded fully to treatment. All the failures were late treatment failures. Parasite genotyping showed that 1 [16.7%] of the 6 cases of late parasitaemia was due to reinfection while the rest [83.4%] were due to true recrudescence. During the follow-up period 22.6% of patients showed gametocytaemia. The high level of treatment failure as well as gametocytaemia necessitates the introduction of artesunate in this combination therapy
Description: 309-314
Keywords: Adolescent
Animals
Artemisinins
Drug Combinations
Endemic Diseases
Genotype
Malaria, Falciparum
Parasite Egg Count
Subject: Antimalarials
URI: http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/119413
ISSN: 1020-3397
Other Identifiers: http://applications.emro.who.int/emhj/1003/10_3_2004_309_314.pdf
Appears in Collections:EMRO Journal Articles (EMHJ)



Items in WHO IRIS are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.