The specific aims of the database are to:
- Monitor the spectrum of the nutritional status of adult population worldwide;
- Provide periodical updates of global, regional and national prevalence rates and trends on underweight, overweight/obesity among adult populations;
- Regularly report the global and regional estimated number of underweight, overweight and obese adults;
- Identify vulnerable population groups (i.e. age, sex, geographical area);
- Assess the trends in nutrition transition (i.e. relationship between BMI and dietary patterns);
- Contribute to the identification and evaluation of intervention programmes;
- Raise political awareness and commitment for action.