- Mortality rates are low in adolescents compared with other age groups and have shown a slight decline in the past decade.
- Globally, the leading causes of death among adolescents are road injury, HIV, suicide, lower respiratory infections and interpersonal violence.
- HIV-related deaths are estimated to have increased since 2000, although these estimates have considerable uncertainty.
- Depression road injuries, iron deficiency anaemia, HIV and suicide are the major causes of disability-adjusted life years lost in 10–19 year olds.
- The African Region has the highest rates of disability-adjusted life years among adolescents.
To be in good health means to feel good on the inside as well as on the outside. The daily emotional ups and downs of an adolescent can affect their health.
male 18-19, France
I think a problem of adolescents is the obsession with their weight. A healthy and balanced diet should be promoted for both extremes, for those with excess weight and very low body weight.
male 15–17, Spain
Encourage proper nutrition and warn young people about the consequences of addictions, that it isn’t all about being trendy but instead involves the state of your physical, mental and emotional well-being.
female 15–17, Mexico
Unhealthy foods tend to be cheap and more easily obtained and ready to eat compared to the expensive healthy stuff.
female 18–19, United States of America
For mental health there should be more people to talk to, and they should also try to reach out to the children, not just wait for us to come to them.
[sex?] 15–17, United Kingdom